Sunday, 2 June 2013

1 Month Cortisone Free

Yesterday was a really emotional day for us ... hence the depressing blog post. But I'm not making excuses for it ... this is life!! This is our trial ... and trials are blooming difficult ... it's a constant roller coaster ride and some days (as the mom of a child with atopic eczema) I feel like I am literally just holding my breath ... putting my head down and going. After a good nights rest (my wonderful husband looks after the baby at night so I can rest and be there for Eden when she needs me)life looks a little bit more hopeful again today. Eden's still in bed ... resting. I've kept her home from school, she will rest a lot, study (seeing her exams start on Monday) and lie in the sun with her baby brother (he loves sun tanning through the window every day ... bare bum in the sun). We are taking her for another check up at the homeopath. I realized that Eden is 1 MONTH CORTISONE FREE!! She had a flare up exactly a month ago ... and now she has another. Then I came across the following link and website: www.itsan.org which just reminded me that what Eden is experiencing is a normal part of cortisone withdrawal. http://itsan.org/eczema_questions_answered.html they answered many of my questions and brought a lot of comfort to me ... I am going to show Eden some of their patient studies / case studies the before and after photo's. The reason why I decided to stop Cortisone us was because: her eczema kept spreading, uncontrollably uncontrollable, spreading eczema. weve used cortisone for too long (years) It stopped working and she needed stronger stuff every time. Every time I stopped using it (for example, she will go to her dad every second weekend and he will take care of her skin with the use of cortisone cream) and then when she gets home I wouldn't use it on her and within days of not using it her skin would go Crazy until she goes back to her dad after 2 weeks where he applies cortisone and after 2 days when she arrives home she looks all good but then then I stop using cortisone and the skin breaks out into red itchy burny rashes all over....and the cycle continues. I realized that this couldn't carry on. We cannot carry on using cortisone ... we have to help her body strengthen and heal itself in a natural way. Even though it's a difficult road ... I am grateful that the Lord have helped me see this ... I really believe we are on the right road...even though the road ahead is still a long one. Eden managed to give me a little smile in the picture below: you can see her face red and blotchy the rash is under her neck,tummy, arms, legs ... her eyes are swollen and slightly red inside ... I give her antihistamines for the itchiness ... it makes her drowsy too so she gets to sleep at night. She's a beautiful little girl that deserves a normal happy life ... and even though the road ahead is still a long exhausting and bumpy one ... I believe in the blessing she was given by her step dad ... that she will heal ... that this will not continue forever ... even if it takes a miracle ... she will heal. I am holding on to that promise.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Eden~!
    I'm going through this journey too, and like you, its totally daunting. And the withdrawal process seems long. But i never regretted starting on this withdrawal journey and i thank God for being with me all this time. I admit that i have cried much, hated much, complained much, sulked much but i have learnt much escpecially when it came to God's love, faith and the love and support of my family and loved ones. Encouragement is such a blessing!
    Keep going on~! As put it beautifully in the bible, When i'm weak, then i'm strong.

    God bless u and love u much!
    i saw your mom's post on itsan and i decided to drop by here. :)

    love,
    krist yeo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Krist .... such kind and strengthening words.
      Good luck 2 u2.

      Love
      Eden (and Mom)

      Delete
  2. Hi Eden and Mom. Eden, you look absolutely beautiful even while going through withdrawals. I can only imagine how beautiful you will be when your skin is all healed. You will also be a bit stronger on the inside because this is not a very easy thing to do. You are in good hands with your mom and she seems to be doing an amazing job taking care of you. Any time you have questions, you can come to the ITSAN forum. The people there have been a huge support and help to me. It's always nice to know you're not alone when you're going through tough times. xoxo
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement.
      This means a lot to us.
      Love
      Eden & mom :)

      Delete
    2. Eden is beautiful. Hang in there mommy! You are doing the right thing :)

      Delete