Friday, 22 November 2013

Before we stopped cortisone

As I mentioned in the forum; I have forgotten what Eden's skin looked like BEFORE we stopped cortisone use.

Here's a pic to remind me:
At this point she was on dermovate, persevate, elecon and at times betenoid syrup. It worked for a few days, then I would stop the treatment and give a week and her skin would go out of control... the cortisone NEVER helped for long ... she always needed something stronger or use it longer but even then it would just be a matter of time before her skin went crazy again.


Last year December Eden came home after a holiday to the coast, with her dad & his family. She came back looking RADIANT, her dad made one slight adjustment from Elecon ointment to Elecon liquid and and I thought wow!! Finally something that helps Eden ... but again ... the holidays was hardly over and Eden's skin started flaring again.

I got fed up ... fed up ... fed up and obviously CORTISONE WAS NOT THE ANSWER

This is what she eventually looked like ... and this is when I finally decided to STOP USING CORTISONE:


Now at 7,5 months off Cortisone and having gone through hell during these past months ... and even though she's not yet healed (prob 50 to 60 % healed) .. and people still stare ... and I still want to scratch their eyes out ... I am nonetheless extremely grateful to be able to post this pic and show the world just how Eden's skin is healing ALL BY ITSELF ... WITHOUT cortisone.


Having said that: I have been in hospital with my baby and decided to use the opportunity to chat to one of the paediatricians there about Eden's condition ... and he told me that what she was experiencing was in fact CORTISONE WITHDRAWAL and that it was going to take a long time BUT that she would eventually be 100 % healed ... he told me Elecon is too strong for children and that alone would have caused problems.

So, I'm not as stupid as some people think I am ... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Hi there Andriette,

    That was great visual improvement in Eden's legs! My legs were similar too at my very worse periods. Now they are also less spotty.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Eden is so much better now! Its great that you were able to meet a doctor with some sense in him. I used Elecon as well for eight years, starting when I was 8 years old and my doctors said that it wasn't strong at all and ok to use. If only I knew what poison I was putting into my body at such a young age

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments. It's so nice to know other people who are going through this process ... it makes it a lot less lonely.
    Erena ... at least we know now...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete